Running continues to be a sport that enjoys growing popularity across the world. A new study examining running habits and mental health during lock-down reveals more people are running for mental benefits. Around 14,000 people took part in this study globally.
UAE is currently one of the safest places in the world when it comes to health and protection. Residents of the UAE also love running. Parks, beaches, mountains, and tracks are some of the most popular spots of running in the country.
We got in touch with Asics Frontrunner UAE Paul Muturi who shared his five favorite running routes with us.
- Nad Al Sheba Cycle and running Track / Meydan area – I do my short speed intervals and easy long runs here. Dubai is extremely hot most part of the year. Hence, it helps that there are tree shade in some sections of the track and on the road pavements.
- Al Qudra Cycle Track – I love going to Al Qudra track when I want to load mileage with long interval sessions.
- Kite Beach Running Track – My favorite spot for easy runs are the Kite Beach track because of the soft surface of the track (7KM). (Also, there are plenty of water fountains and washrooms along the way).
- Showka Trails – After a big race, I like to go back to the basics. I go to the mountains for buildup and strengthening the muscles and improving my breathing because of the elevation.
- Sports City Running Track – This is my favorite track for speed sessions and polishing up before a big race.
Some stats about how amidst the confinement and isolation, the world has fallen in love with running:
● More than a third of regular exercisers are exercising more now than they were before lockdown
● 81% of runners say running helps to clear their mind and 79% say exercise is currently helping them feel saner and more in control
● 73% of runner want to keep running as much as they are now after the pandemic ends
A new study by ASICS shows nearly three-quarters of runners’ plan to stick with their new exercise routine. Linda van Aken, VP Running, ASICS EMEA says: “Despite the lockdown and social distancing measures, exercise and running have become central to many people’s daily lives.
Our study’s findings prove that a run is much more than just a run, especially in times of crisis. It’s a way for people to put aside the mental pressures and challenges of this pandemic and feel free.”
Running clubs of UAE
- Dubai Creek Striders
- ABRaS AC
- 5.30 AM running club
- New Balance running club
- Adidas Runners
- High Beams Dubai
- Mirdif Milers
- Run 4 a Purpose
- Abu Dhabi Striders
- Dubai Road Runners
- Al Ain Road Runners
- Sharjah Buhaira Striders
The majority of these clubs either charge little or nothing at all to train athletes.
Other places to run in the UAE
- Barsha Bond Park – We love this place. There is a lovely pond, a 1.5 kilometres running track, two water fountains and many washrooms.
- IMPZ cycling track – There is a cute 2 kilometres soft padded running track around the lake, plus more than 10 KM dedicated cycle in the area. There is also Maisen City Center mall with super clean washrooms.
- Sustainable City running and biking track for interval training
- Dubai Canal
- Downtown Dubai / Burj Park running track
- Jumeirah Beach Running Track
- Palm Jumeirah Running Track: Al Ittihad Park
- Dubai Marina Running Track
- Dubai Creek Park Running Track
- Zabeel Park Running Track
- Mushrif park running track
- Mamzar Beach Running track
If you love running, you might want to read UAE running champion’s story